Saturday, December 30, 2006

JOURNEY'S END

On the 9th of August 2006, the day Singapore celebrated its 42nd birthday, I dragged myself with luggages more than half of my weight and headed for the airport. Awaiting me was more than 4 months of life alone(ok..not exactly alone) far away in the Scandinavian region. But before all that began, I started my journey at the world's most visited place, Paris. For a first timer in Europe, it was sure a memorable experience. To top on to that, I was there with another girl whom I barely know. NOTHING HAPPENED ...in case any of you wondered.

And so on the 16th August, I set foot on the Swedish soil for the 1st time, totally excited by what the new environment has installed for me. Unfortunately, the place was not really that exciting. Things got worse when I realized that I have no proper internet connection. Life was tough..haha. But I was lucky enough to find out that there were 14 other Singaporeans sharing the same sentiments in the land of Sverige(pronounced as Sveria, dun ask me why but by now you shud understand that their pronouciation simply dun make sense.. my Swedish Language teacher said that too..:P).

With them, I traveled to many countries within Europe, took the most number of flights and trains in my life(not to mention LONGEST TRAIN RIDE), and experienced many 'first time' of my life. We went to Copenhagen(we started from there actually), Stockholm(been there twice and its still boring), Munich(salty sausages was all I remembered), Berlin(the concentration camp still left a deep impression), Venice(great gelatos), Florence(attic experience), Pisa(ya...the tower of course), Rome(the NUMBER OF STAIRS TO CLIMB...plus gelatos...plus..the metro crash..), London(Lilywhites and jerseys galore!), Goteborg(gay encounter...), Kiruna(experience of a life time), Barcelona(totally gaudified), Madrid(...REAL Madrid..and the slithering pair of hands lurking around..), and last but definitely not the least, Sjobo(back to nature).

Well well...I've really traveled quite a bit. Still I missed Amsterdam, Norway, Poland, Greece and Turkey. But I'm glad that I'm lucky enough to visit so many places. So many places, so little time...and of course...so little money. Not to mention that the daily expenses in Sweden are like a little bit way on the high side. A simple comparison...

A plate of Fried Rice from Beijing, SGD$0.80
A plate of Fried Rice from Lund, SGD$14.00.
A plate of Fried Rice from Singapore....PRICELESS......k..a bit corny but then again...I bet Singapore's Fried Rice will taste the best among the 3. Nevermind, I'm less than 48 hrs away from that priceless plate of fried rice.

So tonight will be my last night in Sweden. Tomorrow morning, it will be a 1hr train ride to Copenhagen Kastrup Airport and a 10hrs flight to Bangkok from there. Another 2 hrs flight from Bangkok on Sunday morning will bring me back to the ever sunshine(though now its raining like xiao..still...beats Sweden ANYTIME) Singapore.

For those new friendship forged and people who've been with me for the past 4 odd months, its great getting to know you guys. Sweden couldn't have been better without you guys.

For those who are still waiting to go home from their SEP, enjoy your time away from work as much as you can. (HORROR STRIKES THE MOMENT U LAND ON SUNNY LAND...hoho)

And for those back home waiting...I know you are waiting for me to get back to WORK...haiz...still, it feels good to be going home, really.




A final gathering, a final meal, to bid a final farewell to this place.

No comments: